Tuesday 5 October 2010

October Challenge

So, the idea for the October "Sketchbook In A Month" journal was to expand from the only thing I've ever drawn (dogs) but still stay 'close to home' with subjects I'm familiar with.

The point was to practice and experiment, not refining things to the point it's art but just to learn and develop myself. I'm cringing a bit but posting them anyway under that reason.

First up - pekin hen Derwent Watercolour Pencils and 0.8mm UniPin pen.

First attempt (hey I DID say attempt) at drawing a human! EEP! A picture of Laurent, hamming it up. Pencils. 3H, HB, 2B, 6B


Lily, with Timtam the lamb. There is more detail than shows as I photograph rather than scan them. Pencils, um... 3H, B, HB, 2B, 5B? I think?

Cute little finch we saw on a bird feeder at Yarram. For the birders, it's a Red-browed Finch or Neochmia temporalis temporalis. Derwent watercolour with one or two Aquarell colours I think. Surprisingly the paper doesn't buckle too bad even though it's 100gsm!

Flyball doggie. It was supposed to be my girl Hope but I'm NOT happy... normally I'd bin it and I'm struggling with the fact that these are meant to be relatively quick/unfussy/nonperfect sketches and posted with their warts and all. Derwent Watercolour pencils.

One of my neighbors ganders being a bit haughty while trying to decide if I have goodies. ;p Background was totally unintentional - my daughter grabbed my arm while I was drawing and made a big old mark. Crud... what to do? Pretend it was intentional and hatchmark everything! Not great but such is life! Unipin fineline ink 0.8mm. The marker is WAY too fat for drawing a white bird where delicate lines are called for!

No comments: